Sunday, January 14, 2007

Oh The Land of Cloudless Days…



Anyone know this song?

I’ll sing a bit for you-

“Oh the Land of cloudless days,
Oh the Land of an uncloudy sky,
Oh they tell me of a Home where no storm clouds rise,
Oh they tell me of an uncloudy day”

On and on it goes. The version I’m hearing in my head is from the old Gospel group called “The Lewis Family”. Can’t remember right now where they are from (Georgia-I think), but the thought of them brings back fond memories of harmonizing together with my siblings and my sister-in-law (my brother Glenn’s wife). If there’s one thing we like to do together-it’s sing. I’m not sure, but the last time we may have sung a Lewis Family song together was at our Father’s funeral. We sang “Mansion All My Own”. My Mom said there wasn’t a dry eye in the place-and the parlor was packed. (I don’t know-I didn’t look because a professional singer I know told me not to look at anyone or I would freak out and cry.) Our Dad loved to hear us sing. So we sang it for him. Mom said she thinks God opened up the sky then to let him hear it. I hope so-it really was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done-stand with Dad in the casket right behind me and sing. But I was proud to do it. Morbid I know! It’s the gray, gray day. That, and reading about Alicia’s missing her Dad on her birthday. My Dad’s been gone for 8 years this coming June, and every weekend and every holiday and every time I cook something fancy or wonderful I miss him. Every time I do something he would be proud of, I miss him. On gray, weird, foggy, icy, cloudy, drizzly, boring, too-much-thinking, depressing days I miss him. Sometimes there’s too much missing. I’m glad the sun shines here more than it rains!

I’m also thinking of “Uncloudy Day” because it’s been a gray, rainy, cloudy, damp, drizzly, chilly day here in NY and I spent most of it in the kitchen. Dishes and cooking and more Dishes and Cooking. The reason I didn’t do my dishes last night is because when I went to do them, a mouse ran across the counter. Which compelled me to immediately run, jump and scream my way into the living room and I simply could not bring myself to go back into the kitchen to clean and perhaps meet Mr. Mousey on his return trip home with his tummyful of yummies. He may have been related to Miss Potter’s Hunca Munca but I didn’t ask him. I love little mousies…I think they are adorable and I hate it when my keke-Miss Bootsie eats them and then leaves them beheaded, dismembered and bloody in my yard or driveway, but when they come into my house-they appear larger-than-life. He may as well have been “King of the Forest”…it would have made no difference in my reaction…spiders do the same thing to me-but I am more merciful and if they behave I can catch them in a jar and toss them outside. Don’t even ask me about snakes. I will check to see if my Sister-in-Law has a Have-a-Heart so I can mercifully send the little fella to the outer world-if not I’m sorry to say he will eat his last bit of mozzarella tonight before he is received into Mousie Heaven!! The thought of him climbing all over my food and dishes makes me cringe. Ew.

I shall do my dishes tonight with fear and trepidation!

I cannot believe I am publicly admitting this but I am hooked on the show “24”. I never saw it until a couple of weeks ago. I bought Season One for Dave for Christmas. I’m not sure why. I knew there was action in it-guy stuff. But let me tell you, it’s easy to get sucked into that show…and sucked in I am. I don’t even care if I haven’t seen Seasons 2-4…I’ll catch up…I have to watch it tonight-the start of Season 5! I cannot imagine anyone on earth living through that much drama-it’s not reality-but the spins and twists in the plot of that show keep me on the edge of my seat. I think I like it more than my husband. I plan to sell Season One on ebay in order to buy Season Two on ebay. So much for that. For the record…my favorite show is Northern Exposure-I plan to own them all at some point. My dream day is to work in my studio all day without interruption while playing an NX marathon. I really love that show. If I could go into the TV and walk around any fictional place…it would definitely be Cicely, Alaska on Northern Exposure. Ahhh…I’d find my way into The Brick and have a seat and place an order and enjoy meeting the people there.

Well, I’ve got to work before I play and if I’m going to watch “24” I need to at least make my way into the kitchen and get some dishes soaking. I made a ton of chicken parmesan and spaghetti for Sunday eats and I have to go clean up. I hope if Mr. Mousey is nearby, he’ll only peek at me with his beady black eyes while twitching his whiskers. If he has an urge to be mean and come out of hiding I am gonna freak and my dishes will stay right where they are!

I’ve been having a crochet marathon lately. I’m making Lydia a hat and some little girly gifty, play house things for Helena’s daughter Hope. I sure hope she likes them. I’ll work on them while watching “24”.

BTW-my wonderfully computer literate sister Angie figured out how to make the comments work and she also figured out how to get the photos into text. I will practice this art form tomorrow when I have time. I am off to contend with a 6 oz. Mouse! Wish me luck!!!!

No comments: