Sunday, October 08, 2006

Glenda’s Take on Whim of the Week.

Whim- Webster’s Dictionary defines it as “a sudden fancy” and “a capricious idea or desire”. That’s us!!! Capricious…tending to change abruptly and without apparent reason; erratic; flighty; showing wit or fancifulness. Now, I like the definition of capricious-except for the erratic and flighty part. I don’t think I’m flighty…just looking for a bit of change in scenery with my artwork. I could possibly be erratic and at times secretly eccentric-but I’m definitely NOT flighty!!! Soooooo, after much long-distance conversation, “hemming” and “hawing”, and “should we” or “shouldn’t we”, Helena and I decided on this blog-we just couldn’t help it!!! It’s to be used as a sort of open challenge for us to get us out of our media rut and “whim out” wherever/when ever we want to AND we thought that perhaps someone else might be a little interested in doing the same.

There are several things we thought we could accomplish here:

1. To challenge each other to go with our whims. We want to have the fantastic luxury of deciding what “we” want to create-not what we think others expect us to produce. After years of making items for the extreme grungy primitive niche I really want to move on to other things. Don’t get me wrong-I enjoy creating my grimm dolls-it’s just that-well, for Heaven’s sake-I don’t even decorate my house with those darker grungy colors anymore! I’ve taken a more colorful approach in my *ahem* old age! My DR is now a turquoise color-I’m in the middle of painting my kitchen “Jade White” (Gliddon-not sure if I like it in the kitchen yet-stay tuned). Not what you’d consider grimm or grungy (unless you imagine a zombie glowing in the moonlight-which my wild imagination very well can!) Alas…there are ever so many more things I’d love to give my stiff fingers license to stitch up and paint and glue and draw…until the day they can’t do it anymore (God forbid!)
2. We want to broaden our horizons to try some media we’ve never worked in-and possibly publicly embarrass ourselves with the results.
3. We thought it might be fun to share our whims with anyone out in blog world who is also a fellow/kindred “whimster” and would like to join our weekly attempts at public embarrassment (see #2).
4. We would also like to get our homes once and for all in the décor and order we like (at the moment) and (speaking for myself anyway…) keep it that way (um…yeah-right). As far as my studio…I’d like to get that organized and workable.
5. We must also be a couple of show-offs because we want to dazzle you with pictures of our houses and stuff and purchases and colors and handmade items and where ever our capriciousness takes us! (Again-#2).
6. We will also be setting up a website in order to sell some of the items we felt the whim to make in case anyone has a whim to have one of their own products of our whim. (Get used to the word “whim”-you’ll be seeing it quite a bit here!)

Oh yes, we are full of whims! We want to share every one of them-books, music, color, gardens, cooking, words-well, wherever the heck our whims take us.

And so without further ado…here is the launch of what we hope will be a fun and productive journey-Whim Of The Week!!! Fellow Whimsters…let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whim Of The Week (to save time from here on in I shall, at times, call it by it’s acronym-WOW.)

This will be the weekly format-to fill you in on what the Whim of the Week-and all it’s sister whims are:

Whim Of The Week: The whim for the week of October 8th through October 14th is: JEWELRY…use whatever media you like-any way, any how…just make a piece of jewelry…this oughtta be good! When it’s done, we’ll get it on Flickr and share it with the world! Now to figure out how to get pictures on this page!

WOW Color of the Week: Aqua

WOW Song of the Week: How to Save a Life/The Fray

WOW Word of the Week: Capricious…feel it, embrace it-I know this is very hard for you “Type A” people out there…but just for a week…use it…it’s all about expanding those creative boundaries! SMILE

Pictures to come!

No comments: