Sunday, October 15, 2006





Sunday, That’s My Fun-Day!!

Helena and I have decided that we will extend last week’s Whim of jewelry making. She has quite a few pieces to finish and I’ve been so dang busy that I couldn’t get a whim in edgewise! I did manage to do lots of other things though. I baked 12 loaves of bread with a friend on Tuesday. I started painting my kitchen. I am working like crazy to finish some orders. And finally…FINALLY (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) I can upload or download or install anything I want to right here from home!! I cannot express my joy! It was really NOT FUN to have to drive to the Westfall, PA K-Mart with my laptop every time I wanted to look at my favorite blogs or pay bills or read my email! Yes, I'll admit I'm addicted to the binary code! I never thought it would be such a necessary thing in my life. But I managed to survive without its convenience for a whole month. I can say that after not having it, I truly appreciate having it so handy now.

Today, I went with a friend of ours to a flea market in Matamoras, PA and then to an out of the way antique shop. I’ve posted some photos of my neato finds! I wish the photos were pleasantly situated and taken during the day, but I’ll try to make the settings more eye-candy-ish in the future. You’ll get the gist though!

Here’s a rundown of my flea-marketing venture this morning:

First I found an old Adirondack style nut holder that holds the cracker and picks. I didn’t post a picture of it since it’s not greatly decorative, it just reminded me of my Grandparents and I miss them so-that I thought it would be neat to have one in my own home at holiday time and my kids can crack nuts with it like we did when we were taking our holiday at our Grandma and Grandpa's house! Nostalgia!! There was a little wooden hammer with theirs though-I'll have to keep looking!

Then I found the pretty green-rimmed rose bowl and the crocheted rose doily under it. I got the embroidered Holly Hobbie stitchery at the same booth later on (I tried to forget about it but couldn’t and had to go back.) I then ventured over to a lady’s booth with tarps on the ground marked with different price ranges. I got the little blue flower dish, and a Stangl dish (not shown) for 50 cents each. I picked up a couple of books too. Then as I neared the back of the tarp, on the ground, there they were!!! THE most deliciously pink shabby Christmas bulbs! I asked her how much and to my utter astonishment, she told me 50 cents. I asked if they were 50 cents each and she said, “No, 50 cents for the whole box.” I sort of shrieked, “50 CENTS???” And she calmly answered the affirmative, I think all the while wondering if I’d just been stung by a bee. I told her that I wanted them and I secretly felt sooooooo like that was my deal of the summer and tried to quickly pay her before she realized what a mistake she had just made! I have decided that I want a white fake tree for Christmas this year…with pink and blue and silver and who knows what else…but this is the start of a beautiful relationship! I am thrilled to the MAX!!! Only those you who have ever had a decorative-vision-come-true can share in the glorious exhilaration I feel!

Oh yes, I got the pretty pink and white china pot with the lid from her $1 tarp. I was looking for some retro-type items, but my hands were full at this point and I made my way to the car to unload my lovely booty!

We then went on to the antique shop and I saw so many wonderful things. When I saw the violet cup and saucer I thought of my sister Angie in Illinois who is going to be opening a coffee shop and antique/collectible shop called “Wild Violets”…so this should give her some incentive! We (Angie and I) purchased a building in Bushnell, Illinois this summer…I’ll do a post on it sometime soon. It’s a good investment, but it needs a lot of work! Anyhow-she’ll love it and I’ll love giving it to her!

The little straw bag in the photo is something I got at a rummage sale at the Dutch Reform Church on Main Street here in Port Jervis,NY. Not sure why I bought it, but I do think it's cute and a bit rosy! I'll find a use for it-even if I put some yummy soaps in it for Christmas and give it to someone! Can you possible beat the price...I think I paid all of a quarter for it! Gotta love rummage sales!!! I'm going to have to have a thrift store fix very, very soon. Since the price of gas has dropped to $2.15 in Montague, NJ, I can almost justify the 15 mile drive to Middletown, NY.

I’ll stop rambling on and give you the WOW updates for October 15th through Oct 21st 2006…

WOW: MORE JEWELRY-make some!!! Then wear it!!!
WOW Color: the most wonderful shade of milky pink
WOW Song: Two of Us by the Beatles
WOW Word of the Week: exhilaration: liveliness, high spirits (this is also something we should exercise this week…as in the act of…as in “the sunny side of life”-it’s very contagious and may actually cheer up another’s world where there may otherwise be cloudy skies!)

I would like to mention that Alicia of Posie Gets Cozy (Google it since I have no clue how to put a link in here yet-but I’ll try) was spotted adding the WOW Word of the Week (though I’m sure she didn’t know it) to her post on October 11th, 2006. Here’s a link that might work: http://rosylittlethings.typepad.com/ (you can copy and paste it.) Her blog is one of my all-time favs…if you haven’t seen it, please do so!

I have to add that we would like to know if you're reading our Whim of the Week...please, please comment and let us know! And...if you know how to make it so I can put pictures in my text where ever I'd like...puhleeez send an email to whimoftheweek@hotmail.com and explain it to me...I don't like them all at the top of the post! I do have some html knowledge, but can't seem to figure it out on my own!

Glenda

No comments: